Sunday, September 16

Jesus, Thank You

Your blood has washed away my sin,
Jesus, thank you
The Father's wrath completely satisfied
Jesus, thank you
Once your enemy, now seated at your table
Jesus, thank you
...

This morning's message was on Zephaniah, a prophesy about that day, the day of the Lord's judgement. I often think about Heaven and as each day passes, I long even more to be with my Savior for eternity. Yet, I rarely think about the day of judgement. As the message progressed, I was feeling increasingly uncomfortable, anxious, and fearful! Zephaniah describes in detail what that day will be like to underscore it's reality. Judgement is a fact. All of history will funnel through that day, as God will gather nations and assemble kingdoms to pour out his indignation, anger, and the fire of his jealousy to consume the earth. Zephaniah warns that we are wrong to think that God makes distinctions, or that his wrath may pass us over or fall on someone more "deserving." Eternity begins on that day. Time will be over. And we are to be silent as God unfolds His day of terror.

Yes, I know I will be in Heaven with my Savior when I die and what cause to rejoice! But Zephaniah's prophesy of the day of judgement terrified me as Keith preached. But oh the hope that was brought as he concluded the message. In Hebrews 1, it says that long ago God spoke to our fathers by the prophets (like Zephaniah), but in these last days, he has spoken to us by his Son. And in 1 John 2 it says we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous, the propitiation for our sins and the sins of the world. We have an advocate. All that Zephaniah describes about the fury of God's wrath causing distress, anguish, destruction, thick darkness, blood, a full and sudden end...Everything that God should do to me, he poured out on Christ as he hung on the cross. Jesus absorbed the wrath so vividly portrayed in Zephaniah. He was the rock cleft for me so that I may hide in him.

The last chapter of Zephaniah says, "Rejoice and exult with all your heart!...The Lord has taken away the judgements against you; he has cleared away your enemies...Fear not, O Zion; the Lord your god is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love. You will no longer suffer reproach." Christ has completely satisfied the Father's wrath on the cross. I do not have to fear the Lord's judgement. It has been poured out on another, my perfect propitiation, the anchor for my soul. Jesus, thank you.

3 comments:

The Smith Family said...

Hey Treese!
I just discovered your blog... you should have told me! I love all your pics.
Love ya and see you at caregroup,
Mag

Bekah said...

Treese! For real girl...you need to tell a sister about your blog! Its great! Love you....come visit soon!

Kate Van said...

dito the above!!! this was a good message and thanks for recounting it here. i want to be more heavenly minded yet also aware of eternity for those i love who aren't saved.