Saturday, July 14

Keeping a Quiet Mind

The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me;
your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever.
Psalm 138:8

My mind is crowded with questions, so many questions that I just don't have the answers to. I was reading in Elizabeth Elliot's book Secure in the Everlasting Arms and this paragraph brought much peace to my increasingly anxious heart.
~
We are meddling with God's business when we let all manner of imaginings loose, predicting disaster, contemplating possibilities instead of following, one day at a time, God's plain and simple pathway. When we try to meet difficulties prematurely we have neither the light nor the strength for them yet. "As thy days so shall thy strength be" was Moses' blessing for Asher-in other words, your strength will equal your days. God knows how to apportion each one's strength according to that day's need, however great or small.
~
Too often I let unanswered questions run wild in my mind. Instead of speaking truth to my heart from the word, I listen. I believe lies and respond by trying to somehow figure things out. How quickly I fall into doubt! How quickly I lose sight of the promises of God! How quickly I wander from peace and rest! It all comes down to trust. In my frantic attempts to control circumstances, I pull my hope from the Throne of Grace and hold fast to my own understanding. I trade something sure and solid for something wavering. Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. The Lord holds all my days in His hands; my life is in the grip of a sovereign, loving, ever-faithful God. By allowing anxiety to control my heart, I am doubting His very character. Lord, thank you for graciously showing me where my grip was beginning to tighten. Take all I am and all that I cling to; I surrender all to you.
~
God would sooner cease to be than cease to be faithful. Be of good courage, for today He will strengthen your heart. Charles Spurgeon
~
What may be tomorrow's cross I never seek to find.
My Father says, "Leave that to Me, and keep a quiet mind." Anonymous

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a joy you are to me! I look forward to this week with you at the conference!
Mom

heather michelle said...

It is so true that he is ALWAYS faithful in spite of our unbelief. I wish I wasn't so prone to forget, thanks for the reminder.

I'll miss you this week. Have fun!!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog...I am working this summer as an intern and I have one more year left of college...It is so encouraging to read what the Lord is all over the world. It amazes me how He is working in our lives when we don't even realize it...I needed to read your blog yesterday, and GOD used it in my life to remind me of some truths!

Blessings to you,

Your sister in Christ

Elysa said...

You don't know me because I stumbled across your blog while at Eblogger updating my blog. The title, DEBTOR TO GRACE caught my eye because God's grace is something that is so precious to me.

I loved the John Piper quote you put near the top of your blog. I've only recently discovered John Piper but what I've seen and heard has been so spot on from God.

I'm going to have to use the living water quote at my blog, Musings from Graceland.

Keep up the grace-laced blogging!

Loving Him,
Elysa

heather michelle said...

Wow, Teresa!! I told you your writing was incredible. I am so grateful that God is using you to reach others, including me.

Anyways,this is totally off subject, but I finally uploaded that slideshow to the Willliamsburg post if you wanted to see it.

Mish